USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
|Citizens Advice||08444 111 444|
|District Nurses||01992 474678|
|NHS Hertfordshire (previously East & North Herts PCT)||01707 390855|
|Hertford County Hospital||01707 328111|
|Herts Out-of-Hours Service (HOOHS)||03000 333 333|
|Lister Hospital||01438 314333|
|Midwives (QEII) Urgent||01707 390983|
|Midwives (QEII) Non-urgent||01707 365160|
|NHS Direct||0845 4647|
|Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)||01707 369045|
|Police Station||01707 354000|
|QEII Hospital||01707 328111|
|MASTA travel health advice||0906 822 4100|
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
Call NHS 111 if
- You need medical help fast but it’s not an emergency
- You don’t have a GP
- You need to access a GP but your surgery is closed
- You don’t know who to call
- You need health information or reassurance about what to do next
When you call NHS 111, a team of fully trained healthcare advisors supported by clinical advisors is here to help you.
They will ask you questions to assess you and can also give you fast and easy access to a range of clinical staff if required, including GPs, nurses and prescribing pharmacists.
NHS111 can then direct you further to the local health service which can help you best. This could be an out-of-hours doctor, a late-opening pharmacy or an urgent care centre.
Benefits of calling NHS 111 when your GP is closed
- Get advice from a wide range of healthcare professionals including GPs, nurses, pharmacists and mental health professionals
- No time spent waiting at A&E if your condition could be better treated elsewhere
- Your GP will receive a report of the service we provided for their records if you are happy for us to do so, making sure they are aware of any special help you might need
- Different healthcare services and providers are now connected, making it easier for you to get the help you need
- If you have complex needs, you could be given quicker access to the help you require
- You will be cared for in the right place for your health needs, ensuring you receive the right care for your condition